Friday, November 13, 2009

Learning a new kind of embroidery

Mary Corbet's Needle'n'Thread is an endless world of discoveries. At least for me! I have embroidered in cross stitch for a long time, but it's really hard to find a more elaborate pattern around here. I'm not sure why, but it seems like everything that is sold about embroidery in Brazil is easy-to-do cross stitch. Is it prejudice from the editors? Or is it the public that doesn't enjoy detailed works? Whatever it is, when I've got to know this blog, I was charmed by it! Mary knows dozens of embroidery techniques, and she now decided to teach the base to what is called "thread painting": long and short stitches. It's delightful to make it, the project she prepared to teach the technique is really easy to follow, and the result is beautiful! I can hardly wait to see it finished!
Look what I've done so far (I'm really behind, by the way...):




If you want to follow her lessons, go to the project index.
I've started with the wrong fabric, wrong threads, wrong colors - and even so I'm loving the results! Of course it's not coming out perfectly, but it's sure fun!

No comments: