Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Long, long ago...

... in a blog far, far away...

It seems like it's been YEARS since I last wrote something here, and it's really been a long time. But I was trying to catch up with the messages in the knitting list - the Crazy Knitting Ladies - when I found a message really nice from one of the girls to me. The filter I use to separate my mail left it buried among the others, so it was left behind. When I read it, I decided it was time to update the blog.


Meanwhile, I didn't stop crafting. :) That would be impossible to me! Many knitting rows have been completed, some sewing got done and I even got some boxes by mail (which seems that will slow down for a while, but I have enough supplies around here to keep my hands and mind busy for many years!).


The one who wrote is the owner of the blog Vanilla Babies - thank you from all my heart! I have been able to motivate myself to do lots of things, but it seems like I needed a little push to get back to writing. Thank you so much. :)

And now back to our regular programming, I'll show you what I've been doing all this time. To close up, two suggestions for who wants to learn how to sew:
  • Teach yourself to sew: a sewing course since the basics! The site is rather complete, with tips and projects very well explained. I didn't follow everything available there yet, simply because it's just TOO MUCH stuff!
  • How to Sew with Jenny T.: a podcast I found on iTunes (http://feeds2.feedburner.com/HowToSewWithJennyT). She also has a website, teaches paid lessons online, if I'm not wrong. The videos are simple, but they teach well.
I still have a great resource that ended up by chance in my hands. (Wow, the post is big enough and I decide to tell a story...). When I started to have seriou interest on crafts, I found the blog Superziper, very famous around here. And I saw a discussion about a book, that seemed to be the bible of sewing: Complete Guide to Sewing, edited in Brazil by Seleções do Reader's Digest. At the time this book was desired by 10 in 10 people interested in sewing, according to what I read on the web. And talking one day to my mother, I told her that the book cost 100 dollars at Mercado Livre (a national version of eBay). It was then that she stops me and says "but I have this book". Just like that.


Imagine my joy!


On the next visit to her house, I found the book in the back of a closet. My mom doesn't need it, she'a a fantastic seamstress. She got the book from a neighbor, who was moving and knew she liked sewing. And this craft treasure stood there, forgotten... imagine that!


That was how I got the book and the "bonus" that was inside - a leaflet with cheap projects to make. It's fun to see the suggestions, and I think few people probably have this nowadays.


A little time ago, after a lot of pressure from customers, the editors released an updated version of the book - which certainly must have forced its prices down in the auctioning site. But it's story will always be valuable to me. :)


One last thing: did you like the new look?

No comments: